Google Search

Google
 

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Johor Makan Trip - Part 2

The moment we reach JB, its back to city life, jam and traffic everywhere. We made our way to our little guesthouse at Jalan Datuk Sulaiman opposite Holiday Plaza. After checking in and a quick shower, we head out for dinner, with only the GPS coordinates given by Jack, we trusted the GPS and head there. Well, of course along the way we got a little lost on the GPS but hey, like I told my passengers, not like the others in the convoy will know, hehehe. Anyway, I was under the impression that this place serve all things bittergourd. Since Jack and family was there first and had to leave, I asked them to order for us. So the first is the bittergourd soup with meat balls, which is good but the rest are quite normal chinese rice dishes.

After dinner, we all went to Danga Bay, supposed to be the happening place to go at night in JB now. Its like an esplanade in Penang thingy, very happening, lots of cars and people, big fun fairs and stalls. Quite nicely done but the place is too big. One side are fairs and shops, the other side is the beach with huge gazebo by the sea. Feels more like a 2x2 kind of places with bicycle available for rental and all. Anyhow, most of the people took this as a photo opportunity while me and Edwin challenge ourselves to 2 games of pool :)

Was supposed to go supper at Tmn Sentosa as advised by my friend who frequents and used to stay in JB. He told me that the koay teow kia, deep fried yu kap (pigeon) and porridge is good there. But we have a quest before that, we need to go to Zon, the duty free complex in town first. Jack's friend is the owner of breakers there and told us to go for a drink. Joe whom have been there before told me that people just buy duty free liquor and consume it at the food court. So my impression is this pariah place, where you don't really need to bother about what you wear.

The whole group of us, armed with only shorts, t-shirts and slippers, went there and found out the breakers is a very nice pub connected to saliva the club next to it that have an ice bar. Wow, isn't that cool but dammit, look at how we dressed. Haha... I think in normal visits, the bouncer won't let us in, but we got VIP treatment this round. Thank god they put us on an isolated area of the pub which is the balcony, phew. We were offered a tour of the place but dressed the way I am, better not, paiseh!

Anyway, the beer is cheap, they are having a promo, we got 1 tower of beer at RM80 but free another one. So technically, its RM40 each. After 6 towers and rounds of bluff game, its finally closing time at 3am and time for us to head back to rest. Just as we are ready to go, fight scene occurred downstairs and we can see the cops dragging away some of the guys. Well, its not JB if that doesn't happened right?

Later we may our way to the parking and I made a quick stop at the washroom, as I walk I noticed there is a trail of blood to the washroom, then a pool in the toilet, as I got out to the lift to the carpark, the trail is there too. Thank god we came out slightly later, I wouldn't want to be there.

Ok, this is about makan trip, not blood and fights, hehe... so its 3am plus, everyone is tipsy or drunk (I have picture proof too, but unfortunately if I publish it here, someone will kill me), so we decided to skip supper and hit the sack . Since we paid RM20 per person for the night stay, I shall not talk about our rooms and beds.

Night morning, I got up early and join a few others out for breakfast. We first went to Jalan Badik where this corner coffee shop serve this mini koay teow. Its basically small pieces of koay teow replacing the usual wantan mee noodles. Quite interesting and the koay teow is soft but the portion is really small and expensive. Cost of living in JB is quite high I reckon. We later had a 2nd round of beef noodles at some shops behind Holiday Plaza, this is so so only, so not worth mentioning :P.

After breakfast its time to check out but how can we come to JB and not try Koay Teow Kia that I have heard so much. So I woke my friend up from his Sunday and ask him to direct me to this place in Taman Molek. This corner coffee shop is located Jalan 2/37 after the wet market (GPS: N1 31.320 E103 47.511). The koay teow kia is basically koay teow serve with soup from teow chew style braised duck, eggs and taufu (lor ark). The serving comes with a plate of mix braised duck, eggs, taufu and a bowl of koay teow. I fancy the mix braised serving more and its really nice.

All filled up to go, we then get out of JB and hit the NSE up to Yong Peng straight. We went for the famous yong peng fish ball, ok ok to me, but I prefer the fok chow fish ball in KL (I think the owner originates from Yong Peng too). Anyhow, the fish ball is taken with noodles, either soup or curry. But after 3 meals in 1 morning, I can only offer myself for a bowl of fishballs without the noodles.

Before leaving Yong Peng, we stopped at Eng Hin, this shop selling fok chow biscuits, this is different from the one I tried in Sitiawan. This one is basically a very soft layer of biscuits covering filling that just taste like mang chang kuih to me. Glutinous-peanut kind of taste, not too sweet and is excellent when eaten hot. I also managed to pack some otak-otak buns back from the bakery nearby, yummy!

From Yong Peng, we start to head back, some went to Malacca for satay celup, some Kajang at Rest. Malaysia for kajang satay, and some people like me fly home to sleep. Dinner? Forget it, I can't eat anymore.

Overall, I had a good time, I like what I tried in Seremban, as well as Muar and Batu Pahat. JB is too far and takes a lot of time. Next time, I don't mind doing a south trip again, just exploring more in Muar and BP. <<<(>.<)>>>

2 comments:

cupnoodles said...

Forgot to mention there are other good things in those places I went but didn't try as I only got a know the day I left:

Ayer Hitam - Tai Pau for Tea
Muar - Supper @ "Horse Street"
Batu Pahat - Fried Chicken Skins!
Batu Pahat - Curry Fish Head

Robo said...

Good reviews of the foods of JB. Thanks.