Google Search

Google
 

Monday, January 29, 2007

Bukit Tambun Seafood - Prawn Village

Bukit Tambun, a small fishing village before Penang (heading up north) have been growing itself into a seafood paradise over the past few years. There are so many seafood restaurants here that you will be confused which to go!

I was on my way back from Alor Setar yesterday and decided to check out the place again, this time, I went to Prawn Village.

This restaurant is quite deep in and you can immediately identify it with plenty of cars parking opposite it. However, they charge RM2 per car!!! I am not sure if its because I am driving a KL plate vehicle, but better not argue, can't afford to get my tyres slashed :(

Anyway, opposite the road is Prawn Village, its almost hidden in between the small shoplots houses along the road, you had to step down to the restaurant and you will be greeted by the row of live seafood on display. Pricing is ok, quite cheap for some and some are ok. Red snapper is RM20 per kg, meat crabs RM25 per kg. All sort of seafishes and shell fishes is available.

My favourite at Bukit Tambun are squids! Small little squids fried to crisped, the mix with pineapple and cucumber on a sweet, spicy and sour sauce, must be eaten hot! They call it the kerabu squid here or in hokkien, Kerabu Sotong Kia :)

I also ordered a red snapper steamed teow chew style, the assam flavour is just nice and the fish is fresh (what am I taking about? It was alive moment before I ordered it :P).

Prawns are so so, cook with pineapple in sweet sour sauce and served in a bamboo. Crabs are normal normal la, nothing fantastic, I generally prefer BIG meat crabs, 2 for 1kg is perfect. Those they have here are about 600-700g for 2 crabs, not much to eat!

Overall price is ok, RM10 for sotong, RM 17.50 for 2 crabs, RM20 for fish and RM 12 for prawns.

The most important of all, is that the view is still scenic by the river with birds flying around and locals moving about the river or staying next door. Add that with the nice evening breeze, just fantastic.

Can't wait to come back again on my next trip up north, hopefully the next time will have more people (cause that's when you can get greddy and order like mad)!

No comments: